Friday, November 30, 2007

Ends and Beginnings

Today is the end of NaBloPoMo and of my hair, but yesterday was the beginning of Christmas, so I guess it evens out. Allow me to elaborate.

As you may recall, I took a challenge on November 1st to blog every day for this month. It has been difficult at times, and not all posts have been literary gems, but in the end it was an awesome experience.

This month saw the beginning of my participation in Works-For-Me Wednesday, and the creation of Tasty Tuesday, both of which I plan to continue. Better yet, yesterday I came to the realization that my camera has an accident coverage policy, so, comforted by this blessed reassurance, I have ventured into the kitchen with it for future Tasty Tuesday posts. So don't go away yet! More excitement is still to come!

While I can't promise that it will ALWAYS happen, I have every intention of continuing to blog every day. It has been a valuable and enjoyable part of my life, and not one that I'm ready to give up just because November is over. So... look out, internet!


Today was also the end of my hair as I have known it.

I have fantasized about dying my hair for years but have never had the courage to do it. Finally, I picked up a bottle of brilliant blonde and took the plunge. What I hoped to do was to bring back the light, metallic color that I used to have, a color that has been fading toward brown over the last few years.

This is what happened instead.


The word that most easily comes to mind is "unfortunate."

Everyone is trying to tell me that it looks fine, but I don't know whether to believe them yet, since few people would say "your hair looks awful" to someone's face. I'd like to be able to blame RaeAnn, who dyed it for me, but, as she hurriedly pointed out when I expressed concern, I'm the one who picked out the color, so it's my fault. And she's right. But it's still more fun to blame someone else.

I'll give it a couple weeks and see what I think then. She offered to dye it another color for me if I decide I can't stand it. I'm not sure if that would be chickening out, though. Probably any color would freak me out, because I've never dyed my hair before, so it all seems weird.

I haven't been feeling Christmassy yet, but, considering that it's officially Christmastime, I decided yesterday that I'd better haul out the decorations and try to get in the mood. I put up the tiny fake Christmas tree, and Ariel had fun playing with ornaments (she kept throwing the glass balls - yikes!) and climbing on top of the storage tub ("Dump! Dump!" "NO! DO NOT JUMP!").


I know the pic of Ariel is super-blurry, but I thought it accurately conveyed how constantly-in-motion she is.

After I pulled out some more ornate ornaments and some brass candlesticks, I had a brilliant idea. Or at least I thought it was brilliant. Dan wasn't feeling it. What do you guys think? Does it work? Yea or Nay?

5 comments:

rae ann said...

YEA! definitely a yea! it looks great! that was a fab idea.

you're hair looks fine. stop looking in the mirror and realize that no one is doing double takes and thinking, "oh, that poor girl!" honestly, it's hardly different.

however, you're talking to someone who goes from blonde to black in the blink of an eye.... maybe you should ask someone else....

GrannyNanny said...

I like the candlesticks idea and your hair looks great from the picture. When I get over this virus, I'll take a look in person and give you my final opinion. :-)

Lynn said...

Hi Jenni,
First of all I think your hair looks great!!!! I mean it.....I am serious..... I really love it!!!

And, your candle stick and ornament decoration is a fantastic idea. In fact, I think I have something similar to your candle sticks.......so I am going to try it too.

Thanks for the great Christmas decorating idea. I still have my Thanksgiving deco up so this weekend I need to take them down and bring out my Christmas deco. I have two weeks to finish it.....I am gaging when my son, Jaker's, will be home from Arizona State University. He will be home 12/19 and then we can get the tree and then he can help me decorate it!!!!! I have to get in the mood for Christmas.........ummmmmm.
You are doing great.....keep up the great work!!

Love,
Lynn

mrscamacho said...

I think the candlestick thing is super cool and looks really elegant. if i had the raw materials and an inclination to decorate for Christmas (we're not going to be here), i would totally steal your idea!

Random Steph said...

I love the candlestick idea! Super cute.