Friday, November 9, 2007

The Beauty of Community

Ok, so this is my second post this week that has had "Beauty" in the title. I guess I'm just seeing a lot of beauty all around me lately, in all sorts of places.

When I was giving birth to Ariel and I got my epidural, my immediate reaction to the easing pain was to turn and, watching Dan lay sheets down on his bed for the night, rave about the beautiful color of the sheets. Maybe beauty is something that I most easily see when I am relieved in the midst of pain and struggling.

Today, I see so much beauty in community.

I live 15 minutes or more from anyone whom I know more than casually, so I certainly don't have a physical community to draw strength from. But I have a wonderful community of friends through gDiapers. Rae Ann (who, being my cousin, I knew without gDiapers, but it's still something we have in common), the gDiapers yahoo group, and my friend Stephanie whom I met through the yahoo group and then in person at the gTea are all wonderful, supportive people that give me somewhere to turn when I feel alone.

And when you're a mother of two babies, sometimes you feel painfully alone. Alone in the middle of the ocean, thrashing around with no one to save you.

Of course, this ocean is made of dirty dishes and piles of laundry and crying babies and sleepless nights and hysterical shopping trips and too many viewings of Winnie-the-Pooh.

But when you have women there for you - women who have been there and feel your pain and care about you and want to help and have great advice to offer - you don't feel so alone. You feel taken care of. You feel hopeful. You feel relieved.

And that is why the internet is so darn awesome.

1 comment:

rae ann said...

agreed.

i love that community doesn't always have to happen in the physical sense, but i'm still going to keep praying you into NoPo. i want the physical community with you guys.

chicks rock.