Thursday, December 6, 2007

Soup-tacular - I can't resist

It's A Soup-Tacular!
I gotta participate... I just gotta.... so I'm reposting this favorite:

I gave this recipe to Mom a couple weeks ago, and she called today and told me that she was making it for the gang tonight. I talked to her again after the meal, and she said that everyone enjoyed it a lot and that she intended to make it for company - the true test of a good recipe! Since they seemed to enjoy it as much as we do, I thought it would be appropriate to share it with all y'all tonight!

It's a very warm, cozy soup. Perfect for a chilly day!

Sweet Potato and Smoked Sausage Soup

16 oz smoked sausage
1 medium onion
2 celery stalks
2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
3 tablespoons flour
½ to ¾ teaspoon cayenne (how hot do you want it?)
4 ½ cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Dice the sausage and chop the vegetables (chop the potatoes coarsely). In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté the sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, and sweet potato, sautéing for 5 more minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring thoroughly so that the flour is lightly cooked. Add broth and salt and pepper, stir thoroughly. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Serve piping hot with crusty bread or cornbread!

If you taste test this and decide it's not QUITE hot enough, only add cayenne to the soup that you are going to eat THAT NIGHT. Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems like the leftovers get hotter as they sit in the fridge...

Be sure to visit www.BooMama.net for more awesome soup recipes!

For more recipes from yours truly, click here to check out Tasty Tuesday!

3 comments:

Nan said...

Thanks for the soup recipe. Stop over for my chicken velvet soup.
Nan

Missy said...

Wow. I have never heard of such a thing. This will be in my top 10 to try!

Amy said...

I came to your blog solely because of your love of cheese proclaimed in the comments on BooMama's souptacular. Because I, too, love cheese. :) Lucky me, my boys didn't have those allergies.... what would I do!!? :)
Your soup sounds really good. I'll have to try it! With a slice of cheese on the side, of course. ;)