Wednesday, December 5, 2007

WFMW: Themed Edition!

Today is the Works-For-Me Wednesday "What Do I Fix?" Edition! We are supposed to share our best last-minute meal recipe.

This is definitely one of my top eat-in-five-minutes meals - the Lady Ida's Prize. It is my take on an open-faced sandwich by the same name made by The Truffle Hunter, a restaurant on Powell Boulevard that my family used to go to every couple years as a special treat. Dan took me there on the night he proposed. And this is the only thing that I have ever ordered.

Note: at The Truffle Hunter, they use Swiss cheese, but I have always asked them to substitute cheddar because I'm a cheddar fiend.

Sadly, I haven't been able to eat this myself lately because of Felicity's dairy allergy, but I told Dan that, when I am able to have dairy again, I want to celebrate by going to The Truffle Hunter and eating the real thing.

Yeah, technically it's a sandwich, and it makes a great lunch, too. But it's hot and filling and, when we're ravenous and there's no time to cook up a big dinner, this Works For Me!

You will need:
2 slices of bread per person, cream cheese, sliced ham (deli ham is what I usually use, but ham from an actual ham is always a treat!), sliced cheddar cheese (each slice about 1/8 inch thick), and a can of pineapple slices.

Move your oven rack up close to the burner and turn on the broiler. If you are using brick cream cheese, melt it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. I used whipped cream cheese here, so it wasn't necessary this time. Spread cream cheese generously on each slice of bread.
Top each slice of bread with several slices of ham, then cover entirely with sliced cheese.
Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet. Put them in the oven and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese is melted but not yet bubbly. Remove from the oven.
Add 2 pineapple slices per slice of bread. The reason we didn't add these earlier is that the cheese won't melt if it's hidden beneath the pineapple.
return to the oven, and broil for another 30 seconds or so or until the pineapple is hot - again, watch carefully to avoid burning the cheese.
Serve piping hot!

MMMMMM... this is making me hungry! Felicity, you'd better be grateful that I'm still breastfeeding you!

If you liked this post, be sure to come back next Tuesday for the next installment of Tasty Tuesday!

5 comments:

GrannyNanny said...

Yum - I think it's time to make those again...

Melissa Markham said...

Oh, yum! These look so easy and yummy!

Lady Why said...

Those look really delicious!

Phyllis Sommer said...

wow - i don't eat meat or ham but this looks great - i bet it would be good without the ham, or with fake veggie "ham" too! thanks for the tip...

Unknown said...

Completely original! I am totally going to make that. As soon as I get some ham. And some pineapple. And cream cheese.