Saturday, August 25, 2007

She's getting so big!

I was told this many times while pregnant, and it's definitely true:

Having a new baby makes your older baby seem HUGE!

I know she's actually a petite little thing, but every time pick Ariel up, I can't believe how heavy she is. And every time I change her diaper, I can't believe she's not potty trained - darn it!

I swear she's learning a word a day at least. It seems like whether she learns a certain word quickly and retains it well is largely dependent upon whether it is advantageous for her to do so. Take the following:



Notice how she's almost bossy? It's all I can do to keep her from running the house instead of me! Sometimes I think I fail at that...

One thing she's been bossy about lately is how she eats. She has to have what we have, and in the way that we have it - that is, with all the same dishes and utensils. Breakfast is cereal in a bowl with milk and a spoon. It's messy, but it could be worse. We keep a sheet under her chair. The messiest food, it seems, is yogurt.



You may have observe the evidence of what she HAD been doing and refused to re-create for the camera: frosting her English muffin and pieces of cereal with yogurt. Where does she come up with things like this??? Anyway, I only give her yogurt now when I plan to give her a bath. We also gave her a glass for the first time a couple days ago. I bought a set of small glasses at Ikea on Wednesday ($1.99 for 6 - how is that possible?), and she did a great job of drinking juice out of it without spilling! She was so proud of herself! Of course, after she downed two glasses of juice and wanted more, we switched her to water, at which point she threw a fit and smacked the glass down onto her plate (which is made of Corelle, a ceramic-type material). Fortunately, nothing broke, but we'll have to be careful to take away breakables before she gets too upset in the future.

On to more pleasant developments. In the past couple days, Ariel has learned a very special phrase:



She has volunteered this once to each of us, which, naturally, completely melted our hearts!

Sorry I don't have any new pics of Felicity. The fact is, she doesn't DO anything. She just lies there, eyes closed, milk dripping from her mouth. Maybe I should get a picture of that. Okay, I'll get a picture of that and post it next time. Sound good?

No comments: